VA 116 is an adaptive reuse of an existing 60,000 square foot abandoned building built in 1929. The project required various governmental approvals including the California State Historic Preservation Office (SHIPO), and the Veteran’s Administration (VA). Post-update, it now offers transitional and permanent housing for 156 formerly homeless veterans. A seismic retrofit and lead and asbestos abatement bring the interior up to modern standards, and allow for the creation of multiple tenant based improvements. The newly rebuilt interior includes commercial kitchen and dining facilities, classrooms, a vocational rehabilitation center, and multiple comprehensive administrative offices to help veterans who live in the facility.
2000 California Preservation Foundation Design Award-Rehabilitation / Adaptive Re-use
1998 National Award of Design Excellence-Society of American Registered Architects
1998 Design Award for Excellence-California Council Society of American Registered Architects
1998 Los Angeles Business Council Award-Renovated Buildings-Residential
1998 Renaissance Design Competition Honorable Mention-Adaptive Reuse